Thyroid is a butterfly shaped gland that sits in the lower front part of the neck, just below the voice box. Our thyroid gland is responsible for producing hormones that the blood carries to every tissue in the body. It helps to regulate the body’s metabolism including weight, heart rate, temperature, and mental alertness.
Sometimes the thyroid starts producing too much hormone which might also lead to structural problems such as swelling or the growth of cysts or nodules. In such case, thyroid surgery is recommended. Thyroid surgery involves removal of all or partial thyroid gland. At Al Zahra Oncology Center in Dubai, we have the best thyroid surgeons who perform minimally invasive thyroid surgery while the patient is under general anesthesia.
With the advancement in science and technology, minimally invasive surgery has come into play. Gone are the days when there happen to be a long scar on the neck for thyroid surgery. Cancer Care Specialties is the best thyroid center in Dubai and part of Al Zahra Hospital. It specializes in providing the latest minimally invasive techniques for complete care of thyroid diseases. Being the best thyroid center in UAE, we adopt all diagnostic procedures and latest non-surgical and surgical techniques for the best outcomes.
Types of thyroid surgery
- Lobectomy – When inflammation and swelling affect only half of the thyroid gland, the surgeon removes one lobe of the thyroid gland. The other lobe will retain some or all of its functions.
- Subtotal Thyroidectomy – In this surgery, the surgeon removes most part of the thyroid gland, leaving behind a small amount of thyroid tissue to preserve some thyroid functions. Such individuals in the future might develop hypothyroidism.
- Total Thyroidectomy – In such type of surgery, the entire thyroid gland is removed. The surgery is best suitable when cancer is present in the thyroid gland.
After care in thyroid surgery
Although patients who have undergone minimally invasive thyroid surgery can resume the normal activities a day after they are discharged from the hospital, but it is recommended to take rest for at least 10 days or until your doctor permits. Do not engage in strenuous activities for a month until you recover completely.
You might feel that your throat is soar for several days. The doctor will also advise you to take pain killers to get relief from the soreness or any pain. If you find no relief from these medications, the doctor might also give you narcotic pain medication.
Risks of thyroid surgery
Like any other surgery, thyroid surgery has its own risks such as an adverse reaction to anesthesia, heavy bleeding and infection. The two common risks seen in thyroid patients are:
- Damage to the laryngeal nerves which are connected to your vocal cords.
- Damage to the parathyroid glands that control your body’s calcium level.
Looking for board certified experienced and best thyroid surgeons in UAE for performing thyroid surgery? At Cancer Care Specialties in Dubai, we apply technological advances to conduct thyroid surgery with utmost care and perfection.
Being the best thyroid center in UAE, we have at our disposal all the advanced tools, equipment, and valuable experience to complete your treatment and help you get back in shape in a fast and effective manner.